Monday, June 25, 2012

A Journey's End.

We experienced a heartbreaking loss today.

Our niece Cynthia, the daughter of my wife's sister, succumbed to cancer today.

She was only 11 years old.

Cynthia was diagnosed with epithelioid sarcoma last August.  The odds were against her from the outset, but she battled the disease with a determined spirit.  She had already undergone an amputation of her right foot (the location of the original tumor), as well as chemo and radiation treatments.  However, surgery to remove additional tumors was not completely successful, and in March of this year we found out the cancer had spread to the lining of her lungs.

Cynthia attended a week-long camp for kids with cancer a few weeks ago, and seemed in good spirits.  Upon her arrival home, her condition worsened, and a doctor visit last Monday confirmed what we all feared: the cancer was spreading more rapidly than expected and her organs were shutting down.  We were told she likely had 1-3 weeks left, shocking us all.

This is the 3rd significant loss for our family in the last 3 years: My father in 2010; Elizabeth's father in 2011; and now Cynthia.

My father's loss was devastating for me, but I had him in my life for almost 36 years, and I am grateful for that.

Cynthia never really got to live her life.  Graduating school, choosing a career, finding love, having children.  All gone.

I picked up my 5 year old, Lily, from Vacation Bible School tonight (Hannah, the oldest, was sick at home), and it was hard for me to sit through the evening's closing ceremonies.  All of the children, singing and happy, some no older than Cynthia.

I am glad that I am a Christian.  It is hard to understand the "whys" and "hows" of this world.  We have no idea how long we have on Earth.  But I have a comfort in knowing where I will go when I am finished.  I know that I will see my father again because of my believe in Jesus Christ as the one true path to God and Heaven.   I know that Cynthia is there now, and that she isn't suffering any longer.

My wife and baby girl are flying down to Mississippi to see her sister and the rest of the family, and hopefully provide some support and comfort during this difficult time.

We have been overwhelmed and at a loss for words because of the support and love shown by our Church, our family, and our friends, in providing for us and helping us as Elizabeth and Emeline get ready for their trip.

I am spending the next two weeks with my older girls, doing my daddy duties.  In a way, it is a good thing I am off work, as it makes it much easier for my wife to drop everything and be there for her sister.

I would encourage everyone to hug their kids a little tighter tonight.

God Bless.




No comments:

Post a Comment